Monday, July 17, 2017

THE SYMPHONIC FURY OF KOW OTANI! The Kaiju Composer Holds Court in Japan!

 Composer Kow Otani clowns around with his old pal, Gamera. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I just returned from a great dinner event with Heisei Gamera series and GMK: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack composer Kow Otani and animation director Keiichi Hara. It was my first time to meet both gentlemen, and they were as kind and generous as I expected.

Yours truly with Kow Otani.

While I'm admittedly not the biggest fan of the Heisei Gamera series or GMK, it's always cool to get a chance to meet someone so closely associated with the genre I grew up with. Besides, Otani-san's reputation as a friendly guy was more than enough to convince me to take this opportunity. I'm glad I did.

Anime director Keiichi Hara's take on Godzilla. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Also on hand was anime director Keiichi Hara, who is best known for his work on the Doraemon and Crayon Shin-chan television and movie series. I must admit I'm really not familiar with his work at all. Anime just isn't my bag. But he was one heck of a nice guy, and his talents were quite evident to me.


And that's all for tonight. What a blast it was. Stay tuned to this blog for all the coolest happenings in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment