Wednesday, August 26, 2015

VISITING YOKOHAMA CHINATOWN! Out and About in a New Location!

Ho! Ho! Huh? This Chinese restaurant has a rather unusual mascot. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Right next to Motomachi-Chukagai Station is Yokohama Chinatown, the biggest one in all of Asia. It was my first time to visit the area, and given all I'd heard about Yokohama Chinatown over the years, I was eager to look around.

Eat your heart out, Jurassic World! Photo by Brett Homenick.

One of the things that caught my eye was a Chinese restaurant with a Santa Claus statue out in front (much like the Colonel Sanders statues that adorn many of the KFCs in Japan). It was certainly random, to say the very least, but it was also attention-grabbing. In fact, we ended up eating there! (The food wasn't bad, either!)

This dragon stands on guard against any and all shoplifters. Photo by Brett Homenick.

I suppose many of the sights were just what you'd expect to find in a Chinatown. There were dragons and pandas aplenty, and many restaurants and other buildings had very traditional designs. Still, it was a fascinating change of pace to "leave" Japan and check out another country, so to speak.

Do you like pandas? Then Chinatown is the place for you! Photo by Brett Homenick.

I'd like to do a bit more research and find out if there are any shops for movie-related collectibles. I'm sure there aren't any Shaw Brothers stores in the area, but how cool would that be? Perhaps there's something of interest, so I'll keep my eyes peeled. If you have any tips, please let me know.

Why go to China when you've got Yokohama's Chinatown? Photo by Brett Homenick.

And that's about all. Not much else to say, but we didn't spend a lot of time exploring. It was more of an overview of the town than anything else. I plan to go back eventually, and if I do find anything movie-related, I'll be sure to blog about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment