Sunday, August 23, 2015

TAC CELEBRATION IN SHINJUKU! An Ultraman Ace Alum Throws a Shinjuku Shindig!

Utraman Ace actor Mitsuhiro Sano sings a karaoke rendition of his series' theme song. Photo by Brett Homenick.

On Saturday, August 22, I made my way to Shinjuku's Kabukicho district to attend a party at Poppo, a bar owned and operated by Ultraman Ace actor Mitsuhiro Sano (TAC member Kozo Yoshimura). The party was attended by several familiar faces, many of whom I meet on a regular basis.

Sano-san's autograph joins those of many other Ultra-series alumni in my The Genesis of Ultraman 1966-1980 book. Photo by Brett Homenick.

Karaoke was a major aspect of the celebration, and several attendees sang various songs, such as tokusatsu TV show themes and even Beatles tunes (specifically "Yesterday"). Sano-san himself got in on the act and belted out the theme song to Ultraman Ace. It was quite a sight to see (and hear).

Yours truly with Mitsuhiro Sano at his bar in Kabukicho.

I must thank Sano-san for his hospitality and for throwing such an enjoyable shindig. When it comes to tokusatsu events, no one does them quite as well as the Japanese. I feel fortunate to have made as many friends in Japan as I have. A sincere thanks to every one of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment