Sunday, October 5, 2014

TERUYOSHI NAKANO TURNS 79! The Celebrated SFX Director Celebrates His Upcoming Birthday!

 Former Toho SFX director Teruyoshi Nakano prepares to blow out the candles on his birthday cake! Photo by Brett Homenick.

October 4 marks the third year in a row that I have been privileged to attend the birthday party for Teruyoshi Nakano, the Toho SFX director who helmed the Godzilla series in the 1970s through Godzilla 1985. Despite what is often posted on the Internet, Nakano-san's birthday takes place on October 9.


Nakano-san's celebration took place in a cafe near Yomiuriland-mae Station in Kawasaki, Kanagawa. For the entire "talk show" portion of the event, Nakano-san talked about two of his favorite movies: The Third Man (1949) and Our Very Own (1950). After the talk show was completed, Nakano-san signed copies of his book, of which I'm happy to say I am now a proud owner!


When I posed for the above photo, Nakano-san said, "Family." Suffice it to say, I was humbled. So long as I'm in Japan, I'll always make it out to Nakano-san's birthday parties. I'm a Teruyoshi Nakano guy! Many thanks to my good friend Yasushi!

No comments:

Post a Comment