Sunday, September 25, 2011

Hangin' with Akira Takarada

Sometimes a photo says it all: Akira Takarada drives me around Asakusa, Tokyo.

One person I alwaus love seeing in Tokyo is the one and only Akira Takarada. I've had the great fortune to meet up with this legend of the silver screen every time I've visited Tokyo. I've come to know him quite well ever since I assisted him during G-FEST 2010 in Chicago, and it never ceases to amaze me how close I've become to one of my childhood heroes.


Out and about: Mr. Takarada checks out some items for sale on the sidewalk.

During this visit, we searched out a suitable place to eat dinner. After strolling around Asakusa for a good while, we decided on a Korean restaurant we found. Mr. Takarada enjoys that particular style of food, and I decided to give it a go.


Gettin' ready to eat, Korean-style!


One of the delicacies on the menu, which threw me for a loop, was tongue. Yes, tongue. I'm not that adventurous when it comes to sampling new foods, so I was, to say the least, a bit apprehensive about taking part. However, given whose presence I was in, I went for it. It wasn't bad, but I don't think I'll make it a regular part of my diet!


Cooking up something interesting...

After our meal, we strolled around a bit more. Mr. Takarada kept me up to date with the latest news about his acting career, and I shared some of my teaching experiences. It was a great evening, and the soon-to-be fall air was a nice touch.



Thus ended my evening with Akira Takarada. As always, it was truly an honor to spend time with him. If only every star treated his fans with such respect.

3 comments:

  1. Glad you and Mr. Takarada were able to get together again. He must be such a nice man. He's my favorite Japanese actor. I'm so glad you are able to keep in touch with him. I'm looking forward to seeing his interview on the upcoming Criterion "Godzilla" release, as I'm sure you are as well!


    I enjoy your blog very much Brett! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mike! Haven't checked the comments in a long time, so I apologize for the delay in posting your comment. Thanks again for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's ok Brett. I'm looking forward to your next entry!

    ReplyDelete