Monday, August 16, 2010

Return to the Glutermansion

Tim Smyth, Perry Martin, Don Glut, William Winckler, Ted Newsom, and Bill Warren discuss many movie-related subjects at the Glutermansion.

In June 2005, just before I left for North Dakota for four years, I visited the home of author and filmmaker Donald F. Glut with my friends David McRobie and Peter H. Brothers. Since I was leaving California for the foreseeable future, I arranged for us to visit Don's house (which I nicknamed the Glutermansion) as sort of a last hurrah for me. The visit was a fun experience for us, but it would be one that wouldn't happen again for five years.

Bill and Ted have an "excellent" discussion on who really killed Ted Healy!

Several days ago, I contacted Don about possibly visiting him again at his home. I mentioned that I'd love to meet other fans in the area that he knew, and I welcomed as many of them to participate as he could get. Don then started pounding the pavement and arranged a veritable "who's who" of monster fandom to converge on the Glutermansion!

Don Glut proudly displays his Mangled Skyscraper Award, which he won at G-FEST XIV in 2007, with much of his prized memorabilia collection.

As it turned out, Don was under the impression that I still lived in North Dakota and explained to his friends that I was coming in from out of state for this occasion! The group got a big laugh when I revealed that I drove about two hours to get to L.A.!

For several hours, we sat around a table and simply discussed various movies, swapped stories about celebrities, gave our opinions on some "infamous" names in fandom, and had a blast. I was surprised to learn that these sort of get-togethers don't happen so often. Everyone agreed that these meetings should occur a lot more frequently.

Don Glut and yours truly, right outside the Italian restaurant in which we ate dinner.

Shortly after 7:00 pm, a slightly smaller group went out for Italian food. There we discussed more movies, debated Godzilla movies vs. Ray Harryhausen movies, and even did a few voice impressions! We actually stayed seated well past closing time, but we were so caught up in our conversation that we didn't even notice!

Ted and I pose with Famous Monsters of Filmland #250. Phil Kim would be proud!

After we left the restaurant, most of our group left, although Don, Sid Terror, Tim Smyth, and I stuck around to continue the conversation even longer! It lasted until almost 12:30 am, much later than I would have ever guessed. But, when you're having fun, it's easy to lose track of time.

I'd like to thank everyone who came out to Don's house. You certainly made my day! It was tremendous fun, and I suspect these shindigs will be happening a lot more often from now on.

Hanging out is what it's all about! Ted, me, William Winckler, Sid Terror, Don, and Tim Smyth smile for the camera.

. . . and I haven't been the same since!

6 comments:

  1. Brett, I envy you! You were my hero before, now you're my SENSEI of Cool.
    I love reading Don's posts on CHFB, Ted's too, and I love Sid (no matter how much he's been bashed). To actually have "hung-out" with these guys... man!!!!
    I guess there are good reasons to live in California ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jay,

    Come on out to L.A. for Monsterpalooza, and I'll see to it that you'll have this kind of fun, too! Thanks so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so I gotta ask... was Don's place exactly like it was the time we went? full of great stuff, superheroes and dinosaurs?

    ReplyDelete
  4. To my memory, it was exactly the same. I didn't look around nearly as much (we were hanging out in the same area most of the time), but all the big displays were in the same places I remembered five years ago. It was pretty cool to be back after all that time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was great meeting you, Brett -- and thanks for making that arduous 2-hour trek to Los Angeles!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Likewise, Perry. I'm already saving my energy for my next 2-hour pilgrimage to L.A.!

    ReplyDelete